Friday, July 26, 2013

Gloom

This weekend is the horrid and infamous Bele Chere festival in downtown Asheville.  It's basically just 3 days of the worst music and people taking over the business district of the city and turning into a grotesque, smelly urban tailgate party.  All of us downtowners have to scatter or worse...work amidst the shit.  It's not just unpleasant, it can also be quite dangerous, as the invading rednecks get really drunk and really bored and every once in a while they work up the gall to chase down and beat up the unhappy, weird looking folks, i.e. most of the people that live and work downtown.  I guess the point of this is that I was walking home from work, dodging stumbling festival-goers and holding my breath through clouds of nauseating perfume and axe body spray and the worst part of it was that my headphones just broke, so I was without even music to ease my mind.  So I put on my imaginary brain music and it probably sounded somthing like this band I'm sharing with you here.  Gloom from Japan are one of the originators of the "crasher crust" sound.  It's over the top crust punk, with the noise, darkness, speed and misery cranked all the way to 11.  I don't know much about the band, and their records are incredibly difficult to find, but I do know that Gloom are not fucking around on this record from '93, Speed Noise Hardcore Rags.  Are you unbelievably enraged?  Gloom's right there with you.  Spend some time together, work it out, feel better.




No comments:

Post a Comment