Thursday, June 27, 2013

Raccoon Party

Speaking of!  This was my punk band with my friends in high school.  We were called Raccoon Party and we had a blast.  We were all obsessed with bands like Orchid, Saetia, Pg.99 and Welcome the Plague Year and I think it shows...except we weren't talented enough to pull off shit like those bands, but I think we created our own sound, anyways... At one point, we had 6 members, including 2 stand alone vocalists, and we recorded this six track demo.  It's still to this day one of the weirder sounding punk recordings I've ever heard....for some reason we the guitars were recorded clean, and then distortion was added afterwards, including on top of the vocals and drums?  I really don't understand why that happened.  We all recorded vocals, only a couple of us had any words written down, and one song we hadn't even written the music for...we basically just improvised and it ended up working out (it's the long jammy song).  Raccoon Party was my first foray into DIY punk, and somehow we got to play with a bunch of big metal bands like Baroness, Skeleton Witch and KyIesa. I really loved being in this band and I'm still proud of the music we made.


I couldn't find the artwork, but here's a video of us playing at the old Asheville showspace, El Nuevo. I'm the long haired fool playing guitar closest to the camera.




No comments:

Post a Comment